The NJT Institute is a research facility physically based in Jerusalem, with fellows, students, editors, participants, and virtual participants from all over the world and all fields of knowledge.
- Fellows, scholars, editors, and students and outside participants will be devoted towards:
- Researching and distilling the understanding of the major controversies facing our planet
- Guiding and generating the creation and refinement of “Dafs” [pages] on major controversial subjects, or any topics which could benefit from this approach.
- For each major topic we will:
- Hold preliminary meetings and correspondance
- Invite scholars, experts, and people affected by the issue to begin contributing and/or editing
- Create a preliminary, skeletal “Daf” [page] highlighted by a simple statement of the issue [the “mishnah”]
- Online forum (in ‘four directions’) discussing the issue
- Event: Formal, face-to-face moderated discussion of the issue, with a chosen group of scholars, experts, and relevant and interested parties
- Transcript, Audio, Video of the discussion
- Editing process to distill the essence of the many sides and perspectives and implications of the issue
- Online published “Daf” (that can then be opened to the world and edited further)
- Publication of transcripts, video, and links, in a seamless and comprehensive companion way to the “Daf”
- Based on this and on expertise, creation of ‘resource Daf’: a better-than-wiki distillation and explanation of the issue, with all sides emphatically represented
- Print publication of “Dafs”, research dafs, and accompanying and annotated materials
- How we learn can be as important as what we learn:
- Our methodology is based on the Jewish Talmud, the world’s oldest continuously growing debate format.
- Instead of the Greek dialectic, which presumes two sides of any issue, of which one will prevail (this is the dominant model for academia and media in today’s West), The NJT starts with three or four or more perspectives on major controversies, and seeks the points within each perspective which need to be heard by the others- the points of truth we all need in order to avail ourselves of the potentials inherent in the controversy itself and all its implications.
- Fellowships including:
- Postdoctoral fellowships of 1-2 years
- Monthly, weekly, and part-time fellowships for scholars with expertise and committment to issues
Designed and Maintained by